Saturday 2 May 2020

The God who knows...

I've been reading the story of Joseph in Genesis, it's quite an amazing story of the God who knows...the God who is sovereign...the God who has a plan and purpose for our lives.

Joseph, a teenager sold into slavery by his very own brothers to a pagan nation - how traumatic and terror-filled that must have been for him.  To be ripped away from his family, from the father he loved, from all that he knew. Yet in the midst of it he remembered his God, his circumstances may have changed but his God had not and He was with him.

The LORD was with Joseph and he became a successful man.  The LORD caused all that Joseph did to prosper and the household he worked for was blessed on account of Joseph.  

What stands out to me is that despite all that had happened to Joseph, the pain of being taken from his family, the fear and uncertainty of being thrust into a pagan nation - Joseph did what he was asked to do - he did his job to the best of his abilities.

Despite his circumstances, the LORD looked on him with kindness, he watched over him.  He had a plan and purpose.  Even when sent to the dungeon by a false accusation, Joseph was given favour in the sight of the chief jailer and he was given charge over all the prisoners.  

Even in the dungeon...even in the unknown

He chose life

He gave his best

He was an example of integrity

He was kind

He prospered

He remembered his God

He didn't give up

He didn't wallow in self-pity

Eventually Joseph is released and goes on to become second in command of Egypt - read the story it's quite amazing, Genesis 37 - 50.

Again what stands out is the fact that Joseph was secure in who he was and what he did.  When I read his story I sense a settledness deep inside of him, a confidence and security in WHO he belongs to.  Oh yes, there is pain from the past, there is trauma but he chooses to embrace life in the midst of it and in doing that God uses him to secure the linage of the Messiah, Jesus our Lord and Saviour.

Joseph's story challenges me, it causes me to evaluate my life, to really consider where the LORD has called me...what path He has placed me on.  And when I know that, He calls me to enter in fully, to give with my whole heart, to live selflessly for His glory...for His Kingdom purposes.

Things to be thankful for...


50. Looking out the living room window and seeing mom feeding Daytona and the donkeys some treats
51. Tea and visit with Marion
52. Dinner at mom and dad's
53. My husband's encouragement, perseverance and positivity in getting this house reno finished - he is the driving force and I'm grateful
54. Giving a presentation about our last three years in NB to our seniors group at our church
55. Good encouraging chats with some of the seniors
56. Getting the kitchen tile floor put down with my husband
57. Chats with the girls
58. Will, Amy and the kids down for the weekend - pre-restrictions and social distancing





59. Stories with Lily
60. Crafts with Lily and Amy
61. Pizza night with the kids - Matt and Jill over too
62. Micah smiles and laughs



63. Playing outside with Lily
64. A walk through the woods
65. Chat with Matt
66. Daytona, Elmo and Zoe all laying down enjoying the warm sunshine
67. Coffee with Matt, Jill and her parents
68. Prayer
69. A good day painting
70. Listening to my youngest son and his dad talk - mature conversation
71. Beautiful, peaceful morning doing chores
72. Nice visit with Tanya, Richard and mom to celebrate mom's birthday
73. Flowers from mom Vanderlaan
74. Chat with Charissa
75. Good news
76. New paint brush - nothing like a new paint brush to make your painting more precise
77. Groceries picked up and delivered by my brother
78. Dinner at mom and dad's - funny story told by dad - laughter
79. Video chat with Will and Lily
80. Putting down the hardwood flooring with my husband
81. Refreshing morning walk with my husband








82. Afternoon drive
83. Laying more hardwood - getting near the end
84. Morning bird songs through my bedroom window
85. Dinner at mom and dad's
86. Chat with Charissa
87. Peaceful, still morning doing chores
88. Video call with Will, Amy, Lily and Micah
89. Nice call with Erica
90. Hardwood is finished!
91. Plant from mom
92. Video call with Shawn and Charissa
93. God is my ROCK, my REFUGE and my DELIVERER
94. Lorraine has gone home to be with her LORD - she suffers no more
95. Beautiful spring day
96. Chat with Jocelyne
97. Chat with Matt
98. Good day cleaning - getting rid of the dust from the reno
99. Video call with Will, Amy and the kids
100. Morning bird songs
101. Spring rains
102. Church service on line
103. Mom & dad over for coffee
104. Walk in the woods with my husband
105. Chat with Charissa
106. Chat with Steven and Debra
107. Groceries picked up by my brother
108. Laying more tile flooring with my husband
109. Nice chat with Alice
110. A relaxing bath
111. Chat with Charissa
112. Beautiful spring day
113. God is my source
114. Video call with Charissa and Shawn
115. Tile flooring is finished!
116. Beautiful flower bouquet and card from Jocelyne


117. Video call with Will, Amy and the kids
118. Pal had her kittens
119. Zoom video call with all the kids
120. Afternoon walk with my husband
121. My brother bringing out some bales of hay for me
122. Early morning bird songs
123. Hay delivered today by my hay supplier - nice chat with Jim
124. Chat with Jocelyne after her doctor's appointment - baby and her are doing well
125. Beautiful day for working outside
126. Re-seeding and fertilizing the pasture with my brother
127. Help with rock picking from Sarah
128. Holding the baby kittens



129. Light rain - good for the newly seeded pasture
130. Chat with Jocelyne
131. More rains - great for the pasture
132. Morning chat with Charissa
133. Afternoon sunshine
134. Homemade cheese/garlic bread



135. My husband's heart towards me
136. Good Friday - Jesus' sacrifice - forever grateful


137. Church with mom and dad - communion


138. Working outside with my husband
139. Beautiful cutout from Will and Amy


140. He is RISEN!


141. Zoom video call with my sisters and families
142. Walk with my husband - saw some swans








143. Beautiful, refreshing morning rain





144. Groceries picked up by my personal grocer ;-) my brother, produce manager at the local grocery store.
145. Laughter
146. Three-way call with Jocelyne and Charissa
147. Hanging laundry on the clothesline


148. Yeast and flour from mom - hard to find right now
149. Dusting of snow and morning sunshine









150. Getting the kitchen cupboards painted
151. Video call with Lily
152. Video call with Charissa, Shawn and Cooper ;-)
153. New slippers, thanks mom Vanderlaan
154. Gift from Shawn and Charissa
155. Chats with my sisters
156. The smell of fresh baked bread all throughout the house



157. Ice cream - out for a drive to town with my husband
158. Family
159. Warm sunshine pouring through my office window as I sit working at my desk
160. Chat with Jocelyne
161. Cuddle time with Boaz and Keisha - have to tame them


162. Soft morning rain
163. Father and son working together
164. Mart is the new Executive Director of New Life Women's Home - the next leg of our journey begins
165. Fern from mom, more greenery for the house
166. Mom sewing hospital gowns for the hospital



167. Our Sovereign God in the midst of horrific tragedy
168. Celebrating mom's 75th birthday in the midst of Covid19 - a day full of blessings - zoom calls with siblings, kids, grandkids and great-grandkids - gift of a screened in front porch from my dad




169. Beautiful peaceful morning doing chores
170. Bird songs - God's orchestra
171. Plants from mom and potting them together


181. Laundry hung on the clothesline


182. Coffee with mom and dad on the patio
183. Help from my bro
184. Video of Jocelyne's baby kicking
185. Working in the garden
186. My husband's humility
187. The sound of rain and bird songs through my open bedroom window
188. Good chat with my cousin Anne
189. Call from Charissa - she heard the baby's heartbeat



















1 comment:

  1. How I have missed your writing and pictures. Truly inspiring, comforting and thought provoking. 😊

    ReplyDelete