Saturday 23 May 2020

An Epiphany in my Veggie Garden...

Well, it wasn't really an epiphany in my vegetable garden because there were no veggies in this garden...other than a few random spikes of asparagus I had planted 5 years ago.  But, it was to be filled with veggies and had been in the past.

I stood there in the heat looking at this block of dirt, wondering where to begin.  I was overwhelmed and I was hot.  Me and the heat don't see eye to eye.  I'm a cool temperature kind of person.  My favourite seasons are fall, winter and spring.  And suddenly this week it went from cool spring temps to middle of the summer hot!

And so, I stood there in the heat looking at all the dirt...dirt that needed to be hoed and rowed and seeded and watered and eventually weeded and like I said I was overwhelmed.  I started picking rocks and more rocks.  I could do this...but then I thought who am I fooling.

Then it came to me...the epiphany...an intuitive grasp of reality through something (such as an event) usually simple and striking.  
There I stood, hot and overwhelmed...that was my event and then it came...

"Tina...you have been trying to vegetable garden for almost 26 years, yes, you have had successful years but if this was your thing you'd have a masterpiece by this time and you don't so let it go. You're not really a vegetable gardener and it's okay, you can't do everything".

And guess what?  I felt relieved, it was okay, I could let it go.

Besides, my dad who lives next door is the veggie gardener expert and I'm sure he'll have a bean or two to spare from his garden ;-)

How often in life are we doing things we're really not meant to do.  It's not that we're not capable but when we do it, it pulls us into too many directions.  We give a little here, a little there, etc. and quite possibly nothing is given the fullest attention it should.

We are all gifted in different ways and God has a plan and purpose for each of our lives - that is what we need to seek.

Things to be thankful for...


190. Good chat with my cousin Anne
191. Video of Jocelyne's baby kicking - the gift of life
192. Morning video call with Lily
193. Good night's sleep
194. Getting some flowerbeds cleaned up with my husband
195. Fresh sheets off the clothesline 
196. Love, encouragement, and support from so many
197. Beautiful morning sunshine after the rain










198. Zoom video church with the Village of Hope - so good to see everyone
199. Walk in the woods with my husband
200. Video call with Shawn and Charissa
201. My husband's encouragement
202. Chat with my sister
203. Morning chat with Jocelyne
204. Boaz and Keish running down the hall after me
205. Matt's help
206. Lily's 4th birthday - video call with her
207. Work started on mom and dad's porch



Chilli for lunch.




Kitten photoshoot.



208. Beautiful sunny day
209. Good conversation with a couple about ministry
210. Dad helping in my veggie garden
211. About 50 cedar wax wings in my backyard
212. Another beautiful bouquet from Jocelyne - I receive them every Friday for the month of May - a gift for my birthday



213. Recording a video with my husband - laughter
214. Beautiful plant for Mother's Day from Will and Amy
215. Out for a drive and ice cream
216. Pizza dinner
217. Video call with Shawn and Charissa
218. Our mothers and all they do and give
219. Three-way call with Jocelyne and Charissa
220. Beautiful gift and card from Matt


221. Visit at mom and dad's - video chat with my sister
222. The fresh smell of tulips
223. God's provision through His people
224. Fixing fences with my husband
225. Jocelyne's Mother's Day gift arrived - beautiful box full of products from New Brunswick and a beautiful card


226. Dishes done by my husband
227. More work completed on mom and dad's porch



228. Celebrating 31 years of marriage
229. Beautiful hanging basket from my husband
230. Out for a drive and dinner


231. My husband's wisdom and heart


232. Video call from Shawn and Charissa
233. Chat with Robyn
234. Another beautiful bouquet of flowers from Jocelyne


235. Chat with Jocelyne
236. Beautiful, refreshing rains




237. Great Sunday morning message
238. Beautifully made plant pot from mom
239. Chat with Jocelyne after her appointment, everything is good with her and the baby
240. Call with a mom whose daughter needs help
241. Boaz and Keish - entertaining to watch
242. God's GRACE
243. Peaceful, cool morning doing chores
244. Good conversation with New Life supporters
245. Chat with Jocelyne
246. Matt fixing the lawn mower
247. Beautiful morning - sunshine and bird songs
248. Dayton, Elmo and Zoe on the pasture for the first time



249. Morning chat with Charissa
250. Video chat with Will and Amy
251. The smell of fresh baked bread
252. Chatting with mom and dad sitting outside on the deck




Beautiful flowering trees, the redbud and the weeping crab apple.







Work buddies.








No comments:

Post a Comment