Sunday 8 March 2020

Just do it, even when you don't feel like it...

How often is an opportunity before you and you just don't feel like stepping into it or engaging it.

You're busy

You don't feel like expelling the energy it will take to do

You don't want to be uncomfortable

You'd rather just sit and veg

You're too old for that

You don't have the time

It's pointless

You don't feel like it

You're tired of giving

And the list could go on.  How often do we and others miss out on these life opportunities that are often not just about us but about others too.  

As a mom one memory that I'll never forget and always regret is one night when I had tucked my oldest son into bed and he said to me, "hey mom, lets have a bowl of fruit loops together."  I said no, it was bed time but underneath that was I was tired and just wanted to have some space.  But in saying no, I missed out and he missed out.  I know that may just seem like a little thing but I believe it's those little things...those little opportunities that are filled with life.  

Since moving back from New Brunswick, my husband and I have been renovating our house and have gone through every nook and cranny sorting and getting rid of what we don't need. I came across the bridesmaid dresses my sisters had worn for my wedding and so I set them aside knowing my sisters would be down to celebrate our dad's birthday in February and I would ask them if they'd like to have them.

They came and I showed them the dresses, they wanted to keep them and ended up putting them on to see if they still fit.  I ran home (we live next to my parents) and got my camera and we took some pictures outside, laughing as they were doing twirls in their 31 year old dresses. 



They told me I should put my wedding dress on, my first response was no, I didn't want to go through the bother of changing and getting into that big dress, I didn't feel like it.  But as I was saying that what came to my mind was, Tina, why not, this is a special moment in time, one that will not come again, just do it and have fun.  So the three of us ran over to my house and my two bridesmaids helped me get into my wedding dress, 31 years later :-)


Taken almost 31 years ago

Once we were all dressed we shuffled through the snow over to my parents house, we all grabbed some pine boughs as bouquets and walked through their backyard past the big patio windows for everyone to see - it was hilarious - everyone was up against the windows watching us and laughing.  



My sister's husband took some pictures and in the middle of doing that my mom came out in the dress she had worn and also had some bouquets for us and then three of my nieces came out in some other old dresses that had been up in my mom's closet.  It was so fun, we laughed and it brought joy.







Rachel to the left is wearing a bridesmaid dress my mom wore at her sister's wedding.

One opportunity...one moment...one decision to make a difference.  Once again it was just a little thing but it gave joy, laughter and fun to many and I was so glad I did it!

At first the thought of getting out my wedding dress was draining to me, I didn't feel like it but in making the choice to just do it there was life, not just for me but others too.

Next time you're faced with something you really don't feel like doing, just do it, you never know what you'll receive or others will receive on the other side of that choice.

Things to be thankful for...


1. Beautiful spring like morning
2. Morning cuddle and scratches with Elmo
3. Photography talk with Matt
4. Chat with Alice
5. Dinner out with mom, dad, Matt and my brother
6. Releasing Bob the beaver with my brother
7. Chat with Shawn and Charissa
8. Renovating the house with my husband
9. Health and strength
10. Chat with Jocelyne
11. My husband's kindness towards me
12. Dinner with friends
13. Beautiful morning sunshine
14. Two bald eagles soaring in the sky across our backyard
15. William, Amy, Lily and Micah down for a visit
16. Lily's sweet chatter and Micah's smiles and giggles
17. My brother bringing hay down for Daytona and the donkeys
18. Doing chores with Lily - seeing her courage in petting the donkeys and going in the paddock with me to get closer
19. Her delight in Zoe
20. Gorgeous, sunny Sunday



22. Spending some time with Elmo and Zoe




21. Out for a walk in the Frink Centre with Will, Amy and Lily


23. Seeing a number of bald eagles up close on our walk, what a beautiful site - must have followed us back from New Brunswick ;-)







Micah smiles.



24. Visit with Matt
25. Good nights sleep
26. Morning bird songs
27. Matt and his dad working together on the house
28. Chat with Charissa
29. Jocelyne sold her house
30. Birthday dinner at mom and dad's
31. Breakfast made by my husband
32. Daytona and the donkeys galloping up the hill
33. Call from my sister
34. Nice day out with my husband for my birthday
35. Calls from all the kids, video from Lily
36. Flowers and chocolate from mom
37. Chat with David
38. Saw another bald eagle on our drive
39. Beautiful spring-like morning
40. Coffee with my husband's mom
41. Beautiful card and gift in the mail from Jocelyne
42. Matt helping our his dad
43. Doing chores - peaceful
44. Sunshine pouring through my office window
45. Dinner and visit with Steven and Debra
46. Worship
47. Lunch and visit with Darrel and Nora
48. My husband's heart for me
49. God's Word

Some more pics...







Barred Owl out in the woods.


Beautiful Daytona.


Family walk at my dad's birthday.



6 comments:

  1. Interesting Tina, I also have my wedding dress, some of the bridesmaid dresses and lots of mother of the groom dresses. Now I know why I keep them all.
    Love Aunt Jennie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunt Jennie. I'll be expecting to see a picture some day with you and some others in some old dresses :-)

      Delete
  2. Tina, what an awesome job. The pictures are a treasure chest of precious memories Thanks for reminding us to not miss an opportunity that may present itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post! You were a beautiful bride. Most wouldn't fit into their wedding dresses so congrats! Those bridesmaid dresses are eerily similar to the ones for my oldest daughter's wedding in 1989. They were periwinkle blue, with same bows and similar sleeves. On another note, it's nice to see you again. Glad all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty! So wonderful to hear from you. I must admit my dress wasn't full done up at the back ;-) Yes, 1989, puffy sleeves and bows were all the rage :-) How are you doing in the midst of all that is going on with Covid? Once again, so blessed to hear from you!

      Delete