Thursday 13 November 2014

"Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labour in vain."

October was a very full month with lots do to.  My husband and I headed out East for five days to visit with our daughter and meet a friend of hers...a male friend :)  We drove lots, the Fall colours were beautiful and it was good to see our daughter and meet her friend and get to know him a little bit.

It was also my parent's 50th anniversary so my siblings and I planned a party for them, their guest list included about 110 people.  There were times during the planning where we wondered what we'd gotten ourselves into and thought a trip away with mom and dad and all their kids and grandkids would be much easier and nicer :-) But you know what, when it was all said and done it was such a beautiful evening and I'm so glad we did it and so glad mom and dad were blessed and honoured by it.

I was blessed by my kids and nieces and nephews who were involved in some skits, piano playing and some videos, they were great.  Words were shared by some friends and family members and that was a blessing to hear as well.  Another really neat surprise was that we were able to share some video clips of mom and dad's wedding.  My aunt had had the old movie reels copied over to dvd and had just gotten them back the Thursday before the party.  For me that was a highlight, to see my mom and dad so young and just starting out on their journey together.  Their journey hasn't always been easy but God has been faithful and so have they.  My parents wedding text 50 years ago was Psalm 127:1a, "Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labour in vain."  I am so thankful to have grown up in a home with parents who have served the LORD and where the LORD has built the house, because even in the difficult times it was never in vain...God uses our difficulties to shape us and mold us into vessels He can use for His Kingdom purposes and what a gift that is.  

Some things I have been thankful for over the last number of weeks...

224. Photo-shoot with four girls and their horses.





225. Early morning thunderstorm
226. Rain, sunshine and rainbows
227. Heading East to visit Jocelyne
228. Vibrant reds and oranges along the way


229. Beautiful drive with my husband



230. Meeting up with Jocelyne
231. Gorgeous drive along the Bay of Fundy


Tide was out, this is at 9:30.


Same spot about 5 1/2 hours later.


Here we were checking out the sea caves, when the tide is out you can walk to them, it was pretty cool.





Five and a half hours later the tide had come back in and the ground where we walked was totally covered in water.


232. Laughter over a porcupine charging towards us while hiking down a trail
233. Picnic lunch overlooking the Bay of Fundy





234. Nice couple of days with Jocelyne
235. A good visit with Jocelyne's friend Dan
236. Beautiful Fall colours through Maine and the beautiful mountains of New Hampshire






237. All the driving my husband has done, so thankful
238. Home sweet home
239. My own bed
240. Finished a big project
241. Quiet afternoon at home with my husband
242. A belated Thanksgiving dinner
243. Sunshine on a Sunday morning
244. After two days of rain it has finally stopped - I can't imagine what it was like for Noah and his family - 40 days and 40 nights of rain.
245. Gorgeous sunshine after two rainy, dreary days is always a beautiful site
246. The smell of fresh cut grass in the Fall
247. Powerful and challenging message at church
248. My husband making the bed
249. Celebrating my parent's 50th anniversary with family and friends, what a beautiful night




250. Family - Jocelyne, William & Amy home for the weekend to celebrate their Oma & Opa's anniversary
251. God's unfailing love
252. Another power Sunday morning message
253. Beautiful Fall day
254. Evening walk with my husband
255. A new day
256. Good discussion with the girls at Youth Group
257. God's love never fails, never gives up, never runs out on me - a reminder not to give up or quit even when I feel I'm coming up against a wall
258. Vibrant yellow leaves on the Gingo tree in mom's backyard


259. Fellowship and laughter with community
260. Cleaning with Charissa
261. New season of life for Charissa, she's moving into her own place
262. Connecting with a neighbour I haven't seen in 27 years
263. The warmth of the wood stove
264. Stopping in at Charissa's and seeing her busy cleaning her new place
265. Matt's creativity
266. Beautiful wedding pictures from Will and Amy's wedding
267. Knitting by the fire
268. A new day, a gift given


269. A visit with Paul and mom Vanderlaan
270. My husband doing night chores with me
271. His sheep know His voice - John 10:1 - 21
272. Morning chat with William - joy in his voice
273. My kids, I feel so blessed to have them
274. The love of my husband even when I feel undeserving of it
275. Jocelyne taken care of while driving through heavy snow out East
276. Quiet morning by myself
277. Charissa out riding Amadeous
278. A friend's first time to church in over two years after sustaining a severe head injury
279. Quiet, peaceful morning in the woods doing chores
280. Beautiful morning sunshine makes my heart glad
281. Remembering those who fought for our freedom



281. The ducks Junior and Henrietta swimming in the pond, fun to watch
282. Out taking pictures with Matt


Matt's shot with a very slow shutter speed of 2 seconds to soften the flow of the water.




283. Beautiful pink and grey night sky
284. Charissa chatting away with her sister on the phone
285. Kayla and Matt hanging out


1 comment:

  1. Congrats to your parents for 50 years together and for modeling a Christian life for you! Looks like a lovely getaway that you and your husband had. It's always good to see our children!!!

    When I read your blessings about the rain, it reminded me of something my niece posted on Facebook today: "what if your blessings come through rain drops
    What if Your healing comes through tears
    What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
    What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise"

    Then I sought out the origin and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQan9L3yXjc Thought you might like it if you weren't already familiar with it.

    p.s. Matt's a great photographer...just like his mother!

    ReplyDelete