Thursday 3 July 2014

Thankfulness...

I've started rereading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts, a dare to live fully right where you are.  The inside flap reads: "How, Voskamp wondered, do we find joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and daily duties?  What does a life of gratitude look like when your days are gritty, long, and sometimes dark?" It's a book that encourages it's reader to live in a posture of thankfulness before the LORD because in our thankfulness joy is found and He is glorified.

My attitude, my demeanour can be so affected by my outside and inside circumstances and how I react/respond to them. You know how it is, it's easy to be happy, joyful and thankful when things are going well but what about when things don't go as planned.  I love the following quote:


How do I respond to the unexpected, the not planned, the not wanted, the so called wrench thrown into my plans.  I have to admit that many times they aren't my greatest moments especially when emotions run wild and life feels out of control...my control.  Can I be thankful even when things don't go right, even when life feels out of control.  Can my attitude and demeanour reflect peace and joy even in the midst of turmoil.  I believe it can because I have a Father in heaven who holds the whole world in His hands and nothing that happens in this life of mine is a surprise to Him and there is peace in knowing that. 


"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid you are worth more than many sparrows."


This life that I live here is but a vapour, preparation for the life to come and I want to live it well here, oh not some pasted on smile of happiness but a joy and peace that can only come from Him.  John 16:33 says: "In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  I do have troubles but it shouldn't be a surprise to me and my troubles at times are nothing compared to the troubles of others, but Jesus didn't put a measuring stick on our troubles.  He just laid it out crystal clear..."you will have troubles." But He overcame it all and because He lives in me I too am an overcomer.  

I definitely don't always live as an overcomer but truth is truth and it's a choice to believe it and to walk in it.  The same power that raised Christ from the dead resides in me as a believer.  Do I get that, my life certainly doesn't always reflect that.  But if I really think about it what a marvellous truth it is, how can I not choose to grasp it.  I need to fix my eyes on Jesus, the One who ran the race before me.

And so one by one through my day I'll mark down those gifts that He so readily gives me, oh some may seem so trivial, so insignificant, so foolish in a world that is so broken, so battered, so full of sin but a blessing is a blessing no matter what state the world, my life or the lives of those around me are in. His blessings don't become less meaningful just because the world is full of turmoil and groaning under the weight of sin.  I believe His blessings should become all that more visible to those who call Him Father.  

1. Horses eating grass in the yard
2. Cool morning breezes
3. Beautiful colours in the night sky
4. Horses running after Charissa for their morning grain
5. Two cute ducklings following
6. Sunlight breaking through the clouds
7. Early morning walk with a friend up the road - getting sprinkled with rain

Ann encourages us to come before our Father with thanksgiving in our hearts no matter what our circumstance, yes life can be painful, horrendous things happen but even in the midst of that there are always things to be thankful for.  I can still see my cousin at her husband's funeral...a man taken so young and yet there she was standing with their four children giving thanks, in the midst of her pain, her anguish she was giving thanks...it is possible. 

The night in which Jesus was betrayed, He broke bread and what did He do...He gave thanks.  He gave thanks even in knowing that that very next day He would be nailed to a cross, body hanging, suffocating, my sins, your sins upon His shoulders.



Dew sparkling in the early morning sunshine.







Henrietta and Junior when they came home.


Two weeks later...they're growing like weeds.


Bath time on a super hot day.


Amadeous loved it...refreshing.


Horse kisses...



Beautiful shades of colour in mom and dad's garden.


Clementine waiting for the chipmunks.










     





1 comment:

  1. Hi Tina, I've missed your musings and images. So glad I dropped by for filling up! Yall have a wonderful summer...looks like you off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete